01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [13-15 March 2020]

I’m in California atm, I may be coming to stay with you now flights are banned :see_no_evil::rofl:! Looks like you are well stocked :+1::blush:!

See you soon!

Hope you like kids :rofl::rofl:

Still going on the CNdP opened midweek. Developed into a fantastic wine over the three days. Will move onto this curiosity tonight.

The calendar is firmly in mid-March, and there’s still light in the sky - so despite the general doom and gloom, I decided we need some spring time rosé this evening:

This is a 2018 Tavel I bought from Lidl a few months back. I have no idea who the producer is (bottled by ‘Cyril et Virginie’ - that’s pretty much it!), and expectations were not too high - but this is actually delivering much more than expected.

Gorgeous salmon colour (and a wild one, at that!), the nose is mostly wild berries, dried herbs and a bit of pepper. On the palate this ticks the ‘Tavel’ box, inasmuch as it is savoury rather than fruity, with strong thyme notes, forest berries, wild strawberries, white pepper and a slightly saline finish. Definitely a food wine - and I suspect the pasta with roasted Mediterranean vegetables we’re making will complement it nicely.

Strange times we live in, so nice to have the dependability of wine - even a Lidl wine, as it turns out!

Happy weekend, all! :wine_glass: :grinning:

After a relatively restrained week I was looking forward to some nice food and good wine…

… the Wachenheimer Riesling ‘R’ 2015 was enjoyed with a crab sandwich. Zesty lemon / lime citrus and white stone fruit flavours with plenty of refreshing salinity. The extended lees aging the wine was given seems to give it a pleasing mealy texture. Good for a few years yet too.

The one in the glass is a Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru ’ Clos de la Mouchere’ 2011 from Henri Boillot which was as good as it gets with some baked salmon, hollandaise and steamed veggies.

Obviously, expectations were high but, thankfully, it didn’t disappoint in any way. Lovely complex nose, citrus, blossom / flowers, ripe stone fruit, caramel and spicy integrated oak. Similar flavours on tasting but with some butterscotch too. Super fresh acidity, considering its age, provides perfect balance cutting the richly textured fruit with ease. The finish goes on and on and on…

Unfortunately the spiralling prices for white Burgundy mean I’m never likely to drink it, or its ilk, ever again. That said, I still count myself lucky to be drinking it tonight !

This completely defies its age. So Light and fresh, bright acidity and still some strawberry fruit and a lot more.

Roasted or fried - both good for me!:woozy_face:

Dinner tonight was very fresh dressed crab followed by Saumon Aux Lentilles and just the one wine which went really well with both dishes.

Lunch in Malibu :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Had this tonight with Monkfish.

The Semillon gives it some depth but still has the mineral taste. Delicious wine that will last for a few more years at least.

From the balcony in Buenos Aires. Breaking out some New Zealand sparkling bought late last year.

My notes were: Pale lemon. Fine mousse. Clean nose. Medium intensity. Fruity! Lemons and limes. Hints of brioche and caramel. Fresh palate. High acidity. Citrus fruits. Medium length finish. Light and fresh. Appealing aperitif sparkler.

We had what was already scheduled to be a reduced numbers wine group get together last night, spaced out around the table. We’ve planned the next for May, but who knows? Things are changing so rapidly.

We were tasting pinot gris from 8 producers.

Other than the Muré which was sadly oxidised, all were very good, and in a drier style until reaching the Loew. The Dirler-Cadé Schimberg was the only one to feature in everyone’s top three, making it the winner on the night. Very food friendly, with a good grip, nuts, mandarin oranges and ripe pears, and a long spicy, lightly tannic finish. The Rolly Gassmann was also notable - its acidity really stood out in bringing balance to the expected high residual sugar.

Chicken and mushroom ‘stroganoff’ (creme fraiche and mustard sauce) for us tonight. Needs something robust and creamy. I love this CA Chardonnay so much I just gave it a great review, only to find I’d already reviewed it a month ago!

‘Tis the other half’s 55th birthday today, so to start the official recognition of age and wisdom, we opened this Herbert Beaufort ‘Bouzy’ Grand Cru Champagne:

It’s got a great nose of freshly baked lemon biscuits, stewed apples, wild strawberries and white currants- but it’s the structure and mouthfeel that really impressed; creamy, but lively, with a delicious peachy note on the finish and fine delicate bubbles that keep the whole thing fresh and zesty. Beautiful fizz! :+1:

I’m making Chicken Basque for the main event, and as we have no Irouléguy or Collioure, or anything else ‘Basque’ and ‘red’ at home – I decided to open the 2010 vieilles vignes Chinon from Bruno Sourdais instead. It’s the husband’s favourite grape, and scientists now reckon that Cab Franc had originated in the Basque country (Spain side), so it’s as Basque as it’ll get this evening!

This is definitely riper and more robust than your usual Chinon; there’s still something of the school desk about it, as well as a faint bell-pepper note, but the fruit - ripe though it is (black cherries and forest berries, we thought) - plays second fiddle to umami notes of tomato puree (yes, really!), forest floor, clay and freshly turned soil. It’s still medium bodied (despite 13.5%) and the finish is wonderfully earthy and moreish. The other half loves it - so, thankfully, he’s a happy birthday boy! :grin: :clinking_glasses:

Very unusually opened a bottle of wine within a week of buying it. It’s a TWS Momo Pinot Noir 2017 from the bin ends.

Lovely clear and light purply-red colour. Still rather cool so not much aroma yet, but cherry and farmyard coming through, with a touch of raspberry. Tastes very fresh; a bit of acidity, maybe a bit of subdued tannin in the background. Fruity, slightly sour cherries, and a faint memory of (my) dentist’s mouthwash. Time for some food.

Tonight was a Chateau Brown Blanc 2016 brought back from Bordeaux last time I was there.

Too cold when we first opened it so just the oak came through, like drinking butter and citrus. Once it’d warmed up a little (I’d say maybe 10 degrees) it started getting some lovely bruised apple and tropical notes and a chalky minerality. Everything a barrel fermented Sauvignon Blanc/Semillion should be and then some. Over delivered, despite its 30€ price tag (I’ve just cancelled birthday activities and needed a treat!).

Also Chateau Brown Blanc is one of the least appetising wine names I’ve ever come across.

Kind of Chateau Beige?

After a quiet Saturday we had a bottle of this wine bought on the back of positive comments on this forum:

At its absolute drinking peak, with plenty of fruit as well as the expected oak, leather and spice. Not my normal sort of red, but very good oaked Tempranillo for £20. Good with Sunday lunch waiting for the rain to clear.

Later a friend popped by and we got some lovely pizzas and popped this into the fridge:

Managed to avoid too much discussion of the latest catastrophe which was nice.