01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [15-17 Nov 2019]

I also grabbed a few in the great M&S clearcut.

Ive been drinking them of a weekend evening after dinner with a small mix of cheeses (some mountain hard cheeses, blues etc) with few mixed nuts - works for me :slight_smile:

Had this last night. My first red from the Languedoc. Initially there is vanilla which fades and there is a hint of blueberries and violet. It’s quite a thin wine but went well with spaghetti bolognese.

We’re having friends over for dinner this evening, and they will provide the fizz - so unsure yet what it will be. Making some wild mushroom crostinis for starters, followed by pasta rotolo in rich tomato sauce, which will be accompanied by this lovely Malvasia Nera:

The husband is making panatone bread and butter pudding, so planning to open the Paul Cluver 2014 Elgin ‘Noble Riesling’ to go with it. Got it from M&S in a recent sale - it’s one we keep buying, it’s so good! Can’t find it on their website for some reason.

https://www.mrwheelerwine.com/sale/white-sale-wines/2014-noble-riesling-paul-cluver-elgin-half-bottle-.htm

Happy Saturday, all! :+1::wine_glass:

Ooh, let us know how it is, I’ve been meaning to give it a go. The 2008 was lovely at around the same stage, although still very youthful.

Will do. Have tried the altitudes wines before and enjoyed them but the prices got a bit silly. When Hochar Pere et Fils comes in cheaper there’s no contest for me.

The Altitudes is great but yeah, perhaps not a bargain. Just checked Great Western Wine and it’s gone up to £19, sheesh. And the pedant in me gets irked to see their website saying it’s from the Bekaa Valley when Ixsir is from the hills above Batroun…!

Anyway, well, if you do make it over there, the Altitudes used to cost me the equivalent of about £6.20 and the Grande Reserve maybe £11.50, in a supermarket, although I guess it’s probably gone up a bit since then.

I’ve never come across Cabrales in the UK but I did try it numerous times when on holiday there. It’s the most powerful blue cheese I’ve ever eaten !

If you can’t find it, the strongest mature Stilton you can lay your hands on would be a good sub.

Still working through potential Alsatian candidates for a mixed case as I’m worried some will no longer be listed when the offer closes tomorrow,

This impressed yesterday…

…every bit as good as the 2015 tried earlier this year although this is tighter due to its relative youth. Green and golden orchard fruits, earthy spice and minerals on the nose. Similar on tasting, notably fresh acidity provides excellent structure, the potential for further aging ( TWS drinking window is by no means optimistic ) and a refreshingly salty finish. Balance, concentration and length of flavour are all exemplary. I think it would be a great match to both fish and pork, especially if apples are involved.

Further investigations will take place later with a Muscat GC Pfersigberg 2017 from Sorg.

Have a lovely evening everyone. Looking forward to reading more tomorrow.

Edit - @tooby2 do I get a virtual walnut for recognising that the LP in the background of your pic is Sketches Of Spain ?

Bought two of these back in 2016:

Drank one then (almost exactly three years ago) and loved it even though it was a touch young. tucked the other one away until today! Still plenty of fruit but altogether much more integrated. Very lovely now!:smiley:

With steak pie tonight.

A Ventoux from Waitrose given to us by friends to go with venison steaks
https://www.waitrosecellar.com/all-wines/ventoux--remy-ferbras-789068

Preceded by scallops in coral sauce (thank you @robertd) with a txakoli wine by gorkaizaguirre that we bought in the region having googled Decanter for recommendations.

Really enjoying this. It isn’t Musar, but nothing is Musar except Musar!

Well balanced, good structure, lots of fruit and toasty notes. I think it will open up more as the night goes on. Perhaps a little overpriced but not by much. Definitely a step up from altitudes.

I still definitely want to go but life / work / lack of £££ is getting in the way. Hopefully in the next year or two :sob: :

Lightly seared tuna . Stir-fried vegetables. Craggy Range Pinot Noir. Simple pleasures.

Trying this tonight, £9.99 in Aldi, one of Decanter’s high street wines for the month.

Lovely alternative English wine, according to Decanter it’s made with Reichensteiner, Madeleine Angevine and Seyval Blanc. Currently a contender for Christmas and New Year Party Sparkling, nice to have something different. Lots of green apple on the palate and some pineapple on the nose.

4th weekend in a row without a drop. Saving myself for December. I can live/drink vicariously through these posts though!

I’ll drink more for you then!

This wine needs a few hours open, or, like most Languedoc wine, better the next day… After that it’ll be anything but thin!

Barbaresco Riserva Casot 2006, Nada Giuseppe Quite tight and tannic on day one, today it’s put on done weight and developed a nice meatiness. Seems very young indeed still, but I do wonder about how often nebbiolo seems a wine of intellectual rigour rather than sensory pleasure.

Volnay Les Fremiets 2002, Joseph Voillot Wonderful nose of forest floor and spice and all that stuff. Palate doesn’t quite live up to it, but lovely Burg nonetheless. I wonder if it could have aged a bit longer, but it’s my last bottle so I guess we’ll never know.

Been away with work last week but got back Friday night and needed something to go with fish pie. Opted for 2015 Guigal Condrieu
Not as exuberant as last showing which was Christmas Day last year.
Last night it was 2006 Parker Estate Terra Rossa First Growth Coonawarra which was in a great place. Could still age for 5+ years.
Tonight with roast beef it will be 2006 Peter Lehmann Stonewell Shiraz after the discussion the other week reminded me I need to pull another out of the rack. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed.

Scallops, chorizo and butter beans, thanks to @Inbar for the recipe, yesterday with a Muscat GC Pfersigberg 2017 from Sorg…

…both were delicious albeit the wine wasn’t a great match so it was consumed before and after the food. A Chardonnay as suggested or a Spanish rose might have been a better choice.

The wine really impressed. Musky grapes and citrus with some earthy spice and a herbal undertow on the nose. Less heady than some examples and all the better for it. The notes on the nose are apparent on tasting too. Its soft earthy quality with all the flavours one would expect of Muscat were very much to my taste ( some of the brighter examples remind me too much of Eau de Cologne ). The acidity is less pronounced than some I’ve tried but it still provided superb balance and it was a pleasure to drink. Length of flavour was also very good.

A really lovely Marlborough Riesling (bought from the Edinburgh grog warehouse) with lunch at Ostara (it’s free BYO during November!) for Nick’s birthday. Honey and grapefruit which should go well with the pork belly ramen.