01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [22-24 November 2019]

weekend

Will post some notes on the Wachenheimer Riesling tomorrow. I had a little chuckle when I saw it in your basket !

Coudoulet 2012 last night, with the remains tonight I think!

Another from the recent delivery. Kidnappers Cliff Chardonnay from the same stable as Dry River. Just a hint in a nice way of tropical fruit but with plenty of freshness and a lemon pith note. Any oak treatment has faded to the point of undetectability except possibly a certain structural breadth. Lovely wine but no rush for the other bottles.

This with enchiladas. A leftover from summer coping well with a bit of chilli then this:

Lovely inexpensive sweetie, tastes of tinned peach, pineapple and spice, fresh acidity, good concentration and length, with twist of spearmint on the finish. A definite re-order.

Tonight’s the night for the big red in our house so going for this.

More 2013 Rhone! Yes I got tempted by a few in the offer.

This is also great but a little imbalanced and dry tannins threatening to upstage the curranty fruit.

Despite the hint of sweaty dusty sandal I’m rather enjoying it.

Trying the 2015 vintage of CVNE’s Reserva. A bottle of an earlier vintage of this wine is what really got me into learning more about wine and collecting a few years ago. At £9.99 at Waitrose this is pretty good value with a good future ahead of it.

This Pinot Noir went wonderfully with grilled tuna steaks. A “simple” wine of 10 years of age but in perfect form. No farmyard flavours and loads of fruit. Sadly our last bottle.

Really enjoying this -

The Society does really well for affordable, characterful Chenin. The Raats original is a favourite of mine, and now I’ll definitely be adding this to future orders.

What can I say? I’ll be happy to take them off your hands if you decide you don’t want them?

You can hang on to them a bit longer if you don’t want to open them just yet, but when you do, look out for brambly undergrowth, fresh fruity berries, and leathery legs. Herbs. Sandalwood. Pencil shavings. I like it. A lot.

Just been drinking a couple of different Malbecs with an Argentine friend, and this is just an order of magnitude more complex, nuanced, and subtle…

Enjoyed a cheeky Beaujolais, last night, with chicken en croute. My go to cheaper alternative to Burgundy.

Tonight, we went for a yummy fillet steak. Naturally, we had to go for a Mendoza Malbec. I’m worried that these appear out of stock at the moment. :worried:

Big red for us too, tonight. Ridge Lytton Springs 2014, with rib of beef.

Our first bottle of the 2014, and it’s a full vintage. Lots of black cherries and dark fruits on the nose; full bodied, blackberries and a touch of cedary, tarry, oak; tannin is very present but not overpowering, and balanced with a fine acidity; and a long, bitter almond finish. This has got a long way to go - no need to open the next one for a good while yet.

Sadly not! We got to that table a bit too late and they’d run out of the sherry.

The cheese was great though!

Impromptu invitations to lunch for my parents and siblings today. Lamb hotpot ended up as more of a cassoulet to cope with the additional numbers (sausages & beans to bulk it up). However, a bit of economising on food the gave me all the encouragement I needed to open this (my dad loves Nebbiolo - was great to see his face when he noticed the bottle & decanter)

Was excellent. Pale, perfumed & powerful.

I couldn’t wait to try this yesterday…

…I don’t ever recall drinking a similarly styled German wine, if I have, I wasn’t aware of the fact. Having already gone through half a case of its early bottled sibling I was wondering if the extended cask and lees aging would make a perceptible difference.

I thought it did, mainly texturally but there was additional freshness and bite too, not that Riesling usually needs any extra in that department !

Yellow plum and white peach fruit with some fresh lees-y notes on the nose. The lees aromas possibly obscure its natural minerality but it still invited tasting. Similar flavours on doing so. The lees notes gave some additional texture and a brisker freshness compared to the straight Wachenheimer which made it seem less rounded body-wise but finer overall.

It was great to revel in the differences between the wines but ultimately I did prefer this version. To conclude, classy and stylish and good value for money and I would happily drink it again.

It reminded me a lot of the wine below from Spain, which coincidentally is exactly the same price…

This evening we’re drinking an absolutely lovely Roussanne – a 2016 Chignin-Bergeron ‘La Bergeronnelle’ made by René Quenard. @MikeFranklin kindly bought it for me when he was in Savoie:

This is a mighty fine example of Roussanne, with a very recognisable ‘Alpine’ profile. Medium gold in the glass, the nose is a wonderful concoction of nectarine, apricot, honey, spice and very aromatic white blossom. On the palate it combines Alpine freshness (forget the sound of music - the hills are alive with meadow flowers and mountain streams!) with generous ripe stone fruit, spiced pear, delicate honey and a spicy stem ginger-like heat on the finish. A delicious wine, balancing acidity with ripe fruit, freshness with depth. Quite a long finish too!

This would be brilliant just sipping on its own, but we’re having this with Moules à la Normande which, I suspect, will work a treat.

Thank you so much, Mike, for your kind present – what a brilliant choice! :+1: :+1: :heart_eyes:

I’m so glad it worked. Pure chance though considering my utter lack of knowledge when it comes to white! Maybe I should try one for myself next season!

At the risk of sounding like an excitable teenager - you SO should!! Martin is loving it - and he’s a harsh judge! Thank you :smile:

Bereche NV tonight - hits the spot. Lemon acidity but not that raspy thing you sometimes get with zero dosage (this is 7g/l) and a little autolytic character. Was on the shortlist for my birthday bash next Saturday (watch this space) but didn’t make the cut.

Surely that’s a roussette and not a roussanne? :wink:

Cornas Chaillot 2004, Franck Balthazar And again M Balthazar comes up trumps. Opened this because I thought it might be getting long in the tooth, but far from it - it’s earthy, olivey great oldfashioned Cornas. Can’t see why Balthazar isn’t better known.

Chateau Musar 2008 This vintage is quite backward, I think. Lots there but it’s very slow to come to the fore. Needs many more years I think.