01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [22-24 November 2019]

weekend

Ah! No - it’s a Roussanne, I swear thee. A ‘Rousette de Savoie’ is a different wine altogether, made from Altesse :+1:

Ok, sorry - I’m sure you’re right - had never heard of roussanne in Savoie! But then I don’t know much about wines from that side of the mountains… Thanks, I never knew altesse and roussette were synonyms!

Bergeron is a variety of apricot and is used because the Roussanne grape has a nose redolent of apricots hence is local Savoyard name.

Ah! Interesting! Though I read somewhere that it was to do with the ‘speckled’ reddish marks on the Bergeron apricot, resembling the reddish speckles you get on the Roussanne grape that gave it its name. These explanations always sound a bit apocryphal… ! :thinking:

Absolutely loving this delicious and refreshing white…

A superbly tasty, smooth Albarino, quite the best I’ve had. Sauvignon Blanc lovers, this is your alternative!

One of the best things about roasting a beef joint is getting to eat it cold the next day. Especially with a glass of fruity pinot noir…

This is a textbook Kabinett, very peachy and with just a hint of maturity.

Then some Lidl Passito di Pantelleria. Great value with intense barley sugar and seville orange notes. Good value example.

Another wonderful bottle from Dujac with pot-roasted pheasant. No browning at the rim - still bright colour. No farmyard notes on the nose. Perfect balance and a long finish.!

I happened to walk past the market as it was closing yesterday and somehow ended up with a fresh halibut steak, usually extremely expensive, but as the fishmonger wanted to get rid of it, only slightly excessively expensive this time. In fact probably the only time I’ve bought halibut; certainly the only time I can remember.

What a lovely fish it is: quite delicious. Anyway my best available choice to accompany it seemed to be a Greywacke SB and I’m very happy with my choice. Lovely fish, lovely wine, no sign of the devil’s work here!

It’s nice, but you can do a lot better than that :wink: Try the Zárate!

Inbar,

Excuse my lack of knowledge… is Roussanne a common grape in Savoie?

Not had much experience of these. Anything similar in style you’ve seen at TWS?

Thanks

It’s already on the (ever lengthening) wish list! At £8 less and 4 quid cheaper than the Exhibition Albarino, I think it’s pretty good value.

Not really. It’s a bit of an ‘immigrant’ from the Rhone (in the words of Andrew Jefford). It only represents a small amount of Savoie vineyard (5% I think?), most of which is planted in the ‘Combe de Savoie’ and has got the AOC of Chignin-Bergeron (Bergeron being the name for Roussanne in Savoie). I haven’t got a huge experience of them, but if you had Roussanne from the Rhone - they are similar (honeyed, quite rich with nice stone fruit notes) but have the very distinct Savoie freshness/acidity.

I can’t really think of a similar style on TWS list - or perhaps haven’t tried enough to recommend, however, the same producer (Quenard) has a couple wines on the WS list worth trying, made from the Jacquere grape; a still Jacquere:

And a Cremant de Savoie:

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Try Domaine du Tunnel St Peray 2018 which is a 100% Roussane from the Rhône . It’s not on TWS list . They do however have the 2016 prestige but that has only 20%Roussane/80% Marsanne .

Good call! :+1::grinning:

The Foundry also have a lovely example of 100% Roussane, which has a decent backbone of acidity. I got a bottle a while ago from a local merchant only to find TWS stocked it for cheaper…! That’ll teach me! :grimacing:

Yep, in terms of QPR I’m sure you’re right, though the Zárate is very well priced too for the quality. Never been that impressed with the Exhibition wine. And sometimes one of the cheaper ones just exactly hits the spot, I know :smile:

From elsewhere, but I opened a bottle of roussanne this weekend - Stolpman 2017. Probably about as far from Alpine style as you can get - very ripe with flavours jumping around all over the place. On day 2 it had settled down and come into balance, with much more subdued tropical fruit flavours leading to a good roussanne kick at the end. Excellent, but could do with a decent decant (unless you like funfair wines).

Rather nice Tim Smith Viognier '16 and Ch Laroque '08 at family meal to celebrate dad’s life on what would have been his 84th Birthday

Wines chosen as 1) had bought them together at auctions 2) dad loved Oz and Adelaide and surrounding area in particular 3) first wine I can remember buying with dad was a St Emillion

great meal, wines and man

What a lovely thought. We did much the same with one of my Dad’s favourites. Chateau Batailley. Wine is so much more than just what’s in the bottle