01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [25th-27th October 2019]

I opened this last night:

A beautiful lagrein acquired for me by @inbar (thank you so much, you must tell me where you got it from as I would like some more!). I’ve only had a lagrein varietal once before and that was with my evening meal in a mountain hut in the Dolomites (the Italians really know how to do mountain huts!) and immediately loved it. this is the first time I’ve had one back in the UK.

A truly lovely, approachable and eminently drinkable wine. Berries with a touch of spice. Palate soft creamy tannins, rounded, silky and approachable and easy to drink. Still young but beautifully balanced.

Oh, so pleased you like it, Mike! :smile:

I also thoroughly enjoyed it when had it nearly a year ago, and agree that it is a quaffable and delicious example of the grape. It could definitely go on for a few more years, though approachable now for sure!

I got it from Butler’s cellar in Brighton, though a quick check shows that it’s sold out :frowning:

Maybe keep an eye, as they definitely replenish stocks regularly. A wonderful shop to visit anyway, if you’re down this way again :wink:

Their own website says it will age for 5-7 years.

I withdrew a case of these 2 weeks ago, let it settle and drinking my first bottle tonight.

Classic claret. Cassis , pencil shavings and hint of smoke. Very good value Cru Bourgeois that I buy most years. This is drinking perfectly now but will last for years.

On a non wine related matter the house music tonight - Led Zeppelin. What a band :guitar::guitar:. Apologies to Beatles fans but these guys were and will ever be the best British band.

I gave her a glass of the Caronne Ste Gemme and she said it wasn’t as good as last night’s wine! I haven’t told her that most of my wine in reserves are either Pinot Noir or Claret​:joy::joy:

Amen.

Saw LZ twice. 1970 and 1975 - loud (very) but not very good. Very patchy records…

If you like that, as seems to be the case, you will love this.

Cava with a spicy snack, great inexpensive fizz.

The Doctor Kabinett is absolutely top rate. Fresh, stoney, subtly honeyed with so much length of flavour. Glad I’ve got a bottle of the same producer’s Spatlese left to drink. Fair price for world class wine.

We have just enjoyed a “modern” version of Prawn Cocktail followed by grilled cod with buttered leeks. Bought from the wonderful coop which is a “must visit” when in Alsace.

I love this wine , excellent vfm and consistently delivers :+1:.

Wow… didn’t realise they were “that” old :wink::+1::+1:

Update: the Halbtrocken PN was a delight. Not a great wine but very enjoyable and a good match for our dinner. Very light in colour and weight but very flavoursome wine.

As nice as it is to accumulate wine for future drinking there also comes a time when they should be drunk too. So, somewhat decadently, another Cote-Rotie yesterday. A 2010 ‘classique’ from Clusel-Roch. Mostly from ‘la Vialliere’ with 4% viognier. With a cote de boeuf. Which was lovely but I did feel like Fred Flintstone eating it…

… less obvious fruit and more complexity than the wine from Niero broached previously. Smoked meat, tapenade, tart plum and something reminiscent of hot earth on the nose. Medium bodied, fading red cherry and plum fruit, complex notes similar to the nose, silky texture, light tannins and fresh acidity put me in mind of Burgundy, although the flavours were very much Northern Rhone. Good length too.

There was a hint of funk too, not enough to put me off drinking the wine, but it did detract slightly from my enjoyment.

Agree with you re the Doctor Kabinett. Beautiful wine and if I can string my half case out long enough will have years & years ahead of it.

Enjoyed this Aglianico last night:

4th of 6 from a VCP case. Beautiful but still no mad rush. Black cherries & plums. Touch of chocolate & liquorice & a little smokiness.

Just got this out of the cabinet to try with Roast Beef later.

We found the TWS rioja gorgeous, a very ‘proper’ textbook Gran Reserva, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

My dad got the 2014 vintage of this out of his wine cupboard last night to go with some pork with a treacle sauce.

A really lovely expression of Zinfandel - cherry, rolling tobacco and rich American oak on the nose, herbs, pepper and tangy fruit on the palate. Hot, but not overly so. Decent length and freshness. And really great value too!

A lovely old girl for a late dinner today.

I look forward to hearing how it performed. I have a bottle of 1989 just removed from the wine cellar and now reaching room temperature (in a cool room) ahead of trying it later next week.

Will let you know. This is number 9/12. It’s been a couple of years since the last one exited the cellar. They have all been wonderful (the vintage I suppose). I did have 1986 which were shorter on both the fruit and the complexity.
This 1990 although too cold did smell perfectly clean and initially fresh raspberries but it will warm up nicely I’m sure.

We went for this last night after taking the 2 year old out for an early dinner at Pizza Express (an experience!)

I thought it would be a rich, smooth and velvety wine but I was wrong.
Deep, dark and brooding. Very serious with the blackest of fruit and a warming spice. Showed 14.0% on the label but I felt it a bit warmer than that. Although maybe that was my spicy calzone still settling?
This was crying out for something like roast beef with all the trimmings. Will make sure my last bottle gets the proper treatment.