01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [25th-27th October 2019]

This is the one, thanks @Ewan :wink:

Thought it was great. Drinking very nicely now but should hold for quite a few more years. Black fruited and fuller bodied (as opposed to the 2012 that I had last year - that was much more on the red fruit spectrum)
Oak and tannins fully resolved but still with plenty of fruit. This is how I tend to like to drink my reds. Not so keen on all tertiary with no primary.
Not the cleanest of wines - what the French would refer to as ‘terrior’, I may say slightly funky with a hint of bret but not enough to detract.
I think you could get stuck into the 2012’s now. Probably won’t be the longest lived vintage.

I don’t buy this, I’m afraid. Why would the Italian immigrants have taken with them an obscure grape from the other side of the Alps? AFAIK there weren’t too many migrants from the French Alps heading for Argentina :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t know. Carménère ended up in Chile (albeit confused with Merlot), and Malbec/Côt wasn’t exactly the height of fashion when it ended up in Argentina… How did the grape we call Primitivo end up in California (though started life in Croatia, it seems)…? Immigrants do all sorts of weird thing - speaking as one. And what seems ‘obscure’ to us might not have been so to those who made wine from these varietals.

But seriously, I suspect you’re probably right. What baffles me is why they can’t just settle it with a bit of DNA wizardry… :thinking:

Good point ré Malbec! And yes, I can’t easily figure that one out either. Carmenere may be less problematic, as I believe it was far more common across western Europe before phylloxera (and of course still is in N E Italy). Maybe ditto with malbec?

And maybe that’s a clue… what was grown in Europe in the past and where doesn’t almost fit in with our desire for orderly classification - grape migration is, as you say, probably as messy as human migration. Mistrust all concepts of what is “native”!

Been a busy weekend for us (I’m still off, so I’m including today :smile:)

Father in law 75 birthday on Saturday. I cooked an enormous lamb shank hotpot for a family meal, accompanied by a bottle of each of these:

The CDR was enjoyable but not exciting (juicy, smooth, medium body and tannins) and the Maury sec quite disappointing (overly sweet, alcoholic, weirdly thin and just generally unbalanced). Redeemed on the wine front by this with my MiL’s apple pie

Totally delicious. Lush fruit with the acidity to match and perfectly accompany the slightly tart, home grown apples.

Yesterday was a celebration for my gran, who is losing touch on reality courtesy of Parkinson’s. Most of the family on my mum’s side were there, with a pot-luck meal in a rented room at Fyne Court in the Quantock hills.

Eclectic menu matched by a random selection of wines, including the below:

Nothing much to write home (or to you guys) about. The Italian was a complete fruit bomb, mix of Puglian traditional red grapes. The Moldovan Cabernet was big, beefy and quite tannic (though softened in the glass and I managed a second helping).
The Château de la Grave was tasty, versatile and food friendly (particularly useful for the scattershot food selection). Semillon really coming through once it had warmed above fridge temperature, acidity and freshness from the Columbard contrasting nicely with the richness of semillon.
The Monbazillac was still pretty fresh. Nicer with blue cheese and crackers than Eton Mess.

Saved the best ‘til last. Took a bottle of this down with me, but did not want to open in front of 25 thirsty family members so shared (mainly) with my dad tonight. Another first for me - Dolcetto, certainly as a single varietal.

We both loved this. Up-front, ripe fruit on the nose and palate, but with a delightful complexity once it really gets around your mouth. Somewhat herbal, hints of leather and smoke, supported by vibrant acidity, this stayed long in the palate. Medium-high bodied for me, very soft tannins. Great with roast pork and all the trimmings.

If this is Dolcetto, I can’t wait to try more, but fear I may have spoiled myself with this rather tasty example. My one and only bottle.

Really like that Ch de la Grave, keep meaning to get a case if it.

I think Dolcetto is really underrated. Maybe it flies under the radar due to the fame of other Piedmontese wines. Mascarello’s Dolcetto, as the blurb states, is an original take on the grape but TWS have stocked many other fine ones previously and hopefully will do so again.

Vajra’s two bottlings are wonderful, especially 'Coste e Fossati.

Einaudi’s Dogliani ‘Vigna Tecc’ is another excellent wine. The last time TWS sold it, in 2016, it was £12.

The Dogliani Luigi Einaudi 2016 was last available in May 2018, was a very good wine at £11.5. Love the cherry pie flavour of Dolcetto.

a big weekend of wine tasting at the Dunkirk wine fair…in-between wines from all over France I did manage a bottle of Petrus and Angelus…

Well North Eastern France is beer country :rofl::joy::rofl::beers::beers:

Everything Lyrarakis make is very good. Tried most of their wines in Crete last year, and not a dud among others. Agree this is a nice assyrtiko.

I still have a few bottles of the 1985 - which is still drinking beautifully. In fact - at the risk of being accused of heresy - I prefer it to the more lauded 1982…

Very jealous. I had a case of the (wonderful) 2016 but missed the 2017 being offered.

I did open a bottle of Envinate Palo Blanco 2017 on Saturday… it was lovely and easy to drink, without any of the weirdness to blow off that the Taganans seem to have, but a second glass seemed a touch too monotonous, so not enough going on to justify the price for me. Notes of pear (drops? I’m not sure I’ve ever had a pear drop, but I think that’s what people describe… though there was some actual pear as well).

Thanks. The 2017 was great, in your opinion does Assyrtiko benefit from a bit of bottle age? Do I need to forget about the 2018 bottle for a little while?

I don’t think this one is designed for ageing. I mean, I’m sure it’ll keep a few years, but it’s not a Santorini!

@szaki1974 and @Embee

This may be of interest :wink:

The note needs amending from ‘on a warm day’ to ‘with food’.

At least for a few months anyway.