01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [28-30 June 2019]

Happy birthday, Nick! Great wine choices.

Happy birthday @NickFoster! :confetti_ball: :grinning:
A great wine selection too… :ok_hand:

Last nights we enjoyed Sposato’s Bonarda - once one of the most commonly planted grapes in Argentina. Looking up Jancis Robinson’s companion, it appears it is related to Italy’s Barbera grape - it certainly tastes like it.

My notes: Clear and bright. Opaque centre, purple red rim. Clean nose. Intense. Blueberry and black currant. Vanilla, clean palate. Dry. Medium acidity. Silky tannins. Leather and charcoal. Intense black fruits. Medium, short finish. Great pasta wine.

Happy birthday Nick, enjoy it all.

Happy Birthday

We finished the verdelhos last night - think I was starting to prefer the Vasco towards the end, although there was never much in it.

Then we ran out of verdelho, but the night had more to give, so we opened one of these:

Reliably tasty, as ever :+1:

You have reminded of something that comes to mind every now and then. The Society’s Burgundy 2017 is drinking “now”, though in fact it has run out. Some wines are “now to 2022” or to 2021, or whatever.
How long is “now” when it is not qualified in any other way I wonder? Somewhat idle curiosity I suppose, but just one of life’s little mysteries!

Many happy returns to @NickFoster, I’m sure you’ll have a good one with those wines on hand !

After finishing the verdelhos yesterday these were picked to see out the weekend…

…the screwcap on the Langhe Favorita was really tight, so tight, the whole closure came off in my hand before I could crack it, oops !

Which was a bit of a concern but a hiss of dissolved CO2 put my mind at rest. Anyway, it’s a very pleasant easy drinking wine for a hot afternoon, fresh and flavoursome, rounded red apple and pear fruit with a hint of almonds. Would go well with all manner of summery / fishy dinners.

The Nebbiolo d’Alba will go with duck over the next two days.

Happy drinking everyone.

I always figured “drinking now” with no end date means get cracking!

Actually, I think there’s a proper guide to their drink dates if you click on the info symbol next to it.

Yep, here it is:

IThis is a very good illustration of how good 2014 white burgundy is. Not the most prestigious village but has an almost perfect balance of tension from the acidity and ripe but in no way tropical fruit. Finish stays true to the initial balance and lasts at least a minute. Textbook stuff.

This is great, by the way, bought a crateload from Lidl:

Cool, refreshing, tastes (almost) like the real thing … and my pancreas doesn’t give two hoots about it.

Still available in halves.

Also funnily the 16 was supposed to be drunk 2 years from purchase rather than now…

A beautiful, sunny and hot day across Brighton, which called for fizz in the garden in the shape of this sparkling Grillo:

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/casuzze-org-grillo-spumante-brut-642736

Got this in one of the Waitrose sales for £7.50 I think, though would happily pay the full £9.99 for it! Deliciously peachy, with delicate white blossom floral notes, and a refreshing lemony finish. Beats Prosecco any day!

Somehow, despite the heat, we decided to make a version of a lamb hotpot using goat, which we matched with this 2016 Gaillac, decanted for 2 hours:

Bought some recently, after a tasting, and so glad we did! It’s got an unusual nose and flavour profile – bitter oranges to the fore, with cloves, pepper and sour cherries. My notes after the tasting suggested ‘orange studded with cloves’ and ‘like a dry mulled wine’. That’s still the best summary I can come up with! It probably won’t be to everyone’s taste, but we really enjoy its robust structure and its generous and slightly unusual flavours.

Now, where’s the water sprayer? :sunglasses: :sun_with_face:

Thank you. “Now” I know!
Never even looked at the info icons before, or noticed them actually.

I continued to prefer the Vasco, it had a touch of salinity which appeals to me. The sugar in the Tyrell was just too much.

Going for white wine spritzers at the moment this evening - the rest of the Raats chenin blanc - and finding them very pleasant. But what next I wonder? Just don’t know yet.

Stunning weather calls for wines that are equal to the task. I brought these along to a paddling pool play-date which subsequently evolved into an impromptu barbecue, perfect:

As one of my colleagues like to say…“I drink like I dress; Chablis”.

Hi, so if it is ‘drinking now to 2021’, does that mean it should be drunk before 2021 (this year and next year) or is it ok to drink in 2021 (up to and including 31 Dec 2021). It’s the ‘until’ the year phrase that gets me all confused :woozy_face:

I’ve a fair bit of wine that says ‘until 2020’ and if I have to get through all that in the next 6 months my body won’t thank me :astonished:

There are a couple of things to consider there.

The drinking windows are only ever going to be a purely subjective measure. Many people (French in particular) might prefer their wines before they even enter the drinking window. Each Famous wine pundit will typically give different windows for the same wine. And it is inherently an analogue, organic process that does not have an abrupt start and finish and is purely a qualitative rather than quantitative process. Also TWS is generally renowned for their rather conservative windows; most of the wines I get from TWS have longer windows posted for them elsewhere.

Regardless, the end of the window will never be abrupt and will also change depending on how well the wine has been kept. Too warm and it will, as I understand it, age faster.

For what it’s worth I generally treat the years in the window as inclusive. So in your example I’d consider now to 2021 to refer to the end of 2021. As I say above I don’t sweat it too much but I’d also think about the fact that it is a continuous process, so a wine whose window is given as say 2020 to 2010 is probably going to be at its best somewhere in the middle of that period.

Last night was steak night! With the ribeye we had a 2014 Cool Climate Oregon Syrah by Twill from Connolly’s Wine, in Birmingham

In the glass this wine has a lovely dark semi-opaque deep garnet colour with numerous slow running legs.

Primary flavours consist of dark cherry, raspberry, fruits of the forest, lily of the valley, jasmine, daffodil and white pepper. Hints of fried bread gives secondary flavours while sandlewood and furniture polish bring up the tertiary notes.

This wine has a thinnish body with reasonable mouthfeel concentrated on the sides of the mouth. There is a residual sweetness with mild pleasant tannins. There is little alcohol burn and there is a lovely tangerine note to the lingering finish before a rhubarb crumble like dryness coats the mouth at the end.

This wine is an elegant and pleasant change from the usual hot climate Syrah. Whether it will age for the long term I am not sure but it is well worth drinking now. It certainly stands tall and proud for cool climate wines. It really compliments savoury foods as well as stand-alone drinking.