01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [28-30 June 2019]

Thanks Russ, this is better. Sounds just the thing. I’ve got two, so one now and one in seven, eight years time to see the benefits of age. And if I like them, I can get more then. Oh, wait.

Grrrr.

Out of interest, what did you eat with it?

Val d’Aoste Torrette Supérieur 2014, Anselmet

Delicious fresh and floral medium-bodied wine from a blend of Aosta varieties (mostly Petit Rouge, I think). Lovely summer wine - pity you can’t get it over here. Put on some weight, going from light-medium at lunch to definitely medium at dinner.

Why is it that light to medium bodied wines often do this? Any ideas?

Llanos Negros Las Tabaqueras 2006, La Palma

Pre-phylloxera vines (some over 150 years old) from the extraordinary volcano-dust vineyards of the Llanos Negros, at the southern tip of the island of La Palma. Quarter parts Sabro (endemic to the island, Malvasía, Gual and Vijariego. Deep gold in colour, with fabulous exotic nose which makes you think it’s a sweet malmsey. But it’s not - it’s bone dry, very concentrated and constantly changing over a period of days. Far from past it at 14 years old (bottled 2015). Hugely recommended for anyone travelling to this most beautiful of all the Canaries - this wine would be 50 euros rather than 16 anywhere else in the world, and the winemaker Carlos Lozano is a great host too.

a wine society event ?

Neil
We had pasta with a simple fresh tomato sauce. Seemed to work well.

Had to be something out of the freezer as we had only just got back from the Eastbourne tennis.

Russ

a few bottles imbibed in a hope to keep hydrated in the heat …well thats my excuse !

Highlight was this from Chateau Rive-Blanques “Trilogie” 2014 from Limoux. Blend of Chardonnay, Chenin and Mauzac. A lovely wine with rich, ripe white stone fruit, citrus hints, minerality and a waxy note …must admit not sure what the Mauzc added as I’m not familiar with this grape

TWS sell another wine from this producer - https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=FC35671

No it was my local wine tasting society. The wines were purchased from TWS recently though.

We had this beauty- from the same producer, about a year ago:

We loved it. It had a pure sort of freshness and a lovely balance between acidity and fruit. Shame it’s no longer available… 'twas a perfect summer tipple!

How was Eastbourne? I haven’t been for a looooong time. I remember Wendy Turnbull winning a tight one as the seagulls screamed and the wind blew sideways. Different times.

On our way back from Paris. Had this lovely natural Jura Chardonnay last night at the Clown Bar. Fruity but not tropical, with a touch of sourness that no doubt would have been vinified out by a more conventional winemaker.

Weekend drinking thread [21-23 June 2019]

It was great tennis, although very hot.

oh…i’m in MK (technically, but one of the villages)…where is the tasting society and is it open to new members ?

seems to be their style then !

I’ve just checked the cellar list and I do have a “occitania” 2014 - pure Mauzac…

Think this is the one:

https://www.miltonkeyneswineschool.com/

(I’m also MK based, but haven’t been to any of their events)

Thanks! will have a look

Sorry James there are only ten of us (been going over 30 years now) turnover is gladly very slow. Why not start your own?
We pay £15 per month into the bank each, and have a monthly meeting tasting six bottles for £100 budget. Three times a year we have a £300 budget for the same number but with better bottles.

On Sunday we fired up the barbecue for slow roast pork with some amazing crackling. This was paired with a new wine destination for me, Bulgaria. We went for a 2014 Bessa Valley Enira. This wine is a blend of Merlot, Syrah, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Sauvignon.

In the glass there is a deep dark ruby colour with slight tawny hints around the edges. There are numerous slow running legs in keeping with the high ABV.

There are primary flavours of cherry, redcurrant, raspberry, tomato ketchup, sweet paprika, liquorice and Worcestershire Sauce. Secondary flavours consist of cream and plain yoghurt with hints of cedar providing tertiary notes.

On tasting this wine has good mouthfeel with a reasonable body. There is a lasting sweetness with a mild astringency, coupled with a slight seaweed flavour. The tannins are quite soft. There is minimal alcohol burn with a long lasting oaky sweetness and a juicy acidity in the mouth.

This is a robust wine with quite a refined note. It certainly coped well with the char elements of barbecue and the sweetness played well with the flavours infused in the pork from the grapefruit and honey baste. Would I buy it again? I’m not sure. It’s a good wine but I think if I head for Bulgarian Wine again I’d be looking for perhaps the native grapes and a more traditional style of wine.

ok…how did you do the pork - temps / times etc? im looking for a way of guaranteed crackling

Hopefully @erdunn will share his recipe here, but just for info, there is also a whole thread dedicated to the art of crackling - a Holy Grail if there ever was one! :star_struck:

The main trick is to treat them as two separate dishes. Don’t cook the meat and crackling together.
Detach the skin from the joint and salt liberally both sides and leave out of the fridge for at least overnight.
After cooking the joint on the barbecue with indirect heat (barbecue thermometer reads around 220) leave the joint to rest. Whilst it’s doing that put the skin separately on the centre of the barbecue (still indirect heat) with a drip tray underneath and leave for around 30-40mins. Some wood chips help with a smoky taste.
You get a very dry and crisp puffed up crackling - ours had naturally curved upwards! Coming from the West Midlands - it turned out like a good pork scratching!

Sorry no. It wasn’t what I was referring to. I’m not keen on the type of thing you’ve highlighted. It’s better and more cost efficient to start your own and become adventurous as the group gets more experienced.