01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [5 to 7 July 2019]

weekend

Just dacanting this ahead of a Sunday Roast. Looking forward to it!

Reading through I’m slightly envious at the food and wine you’ve all been enjoying. There are some truly lovely bottles pictured that’s for sure !

After a bike ride on Friday all I wanted was something refreshing and uncomplicated…

…hardly a clash of the titans. Anyway, picked up the Brokenwood Semillon in Waitrose ( £8.99 ). Labelled as Thompson’s Road I think it’s their entry level Semillon. Pale colour, grapefruit and lemon on the nose and palate with surprisingly broad flavours. It put me in mind of an easy drinking Semillon Chardonnnay blend and was a bit disappointed it didn’t show more regional typicity. The Society’s own label Hunter Valley Semillon, from the same producer, is far superior IMO.

The Kaap Plaas Sem/SB blend was the ‘free bottle’ from my last order. Very pleasant it was too, rounded fruit, crisp acidity and a refreshing Sauvignon dominant finish. Er, and all too easily necked.

The half bottle of Guigal CDR was the first from a case of 12. Despite the reputation of the vintage, there’s always some trepidation when trying a new vintage of a wine you’ve enjoyed previously. I should have had more confidence because it’s better than ever, like everything has been ramped up a notch without balance being compromised. At half the price of a full bottle it’s also great value.

For Saturday and Sunday, a couple of German reds…

… the ‘Kalkmergel’ from Julg was rather good. Quite a deep colour with bags of, slightly rustic, pinot aromas and flavours. A good honest wine with plenty of character and personality. That said, at this price, I still marginally prefer the PN from Wassmer that TWS also list.

The ‘Enselberg’ from Johner will be broached later with some crispy duck and pancakes. If it compares with the Kalkmergel I’ll be more than happy.

We’re making some wood-pigeon in red wine and caramelised onions sauce, so decided to open this 2011 Marques Del Romeral Gran Reserva Rioja:

This hit the spot with both of us. The husband is positively enamoured with it. It’s got a lovely brick colour, and the nose is what you would expect- dried berries, cherries and even a bit of plum, but mostly secondary and tertiary notes of cinnamon, cedar, sweet tobacco, dried flowers and a very understated whiff of vanilla.

It is really gorgeous on the palate - tannins are chalky, dusty even - but ever so smooth, and acidity is keeping it fresh despite its 8 years. The dried berries continue on the palate, as well as cinnamon spice, the texture is lovely, and its medium body makes it feels quite light and elegant. Long finish, which leaves a lovely spicy aftertaste. For £12 (reduced from £19 I think) - this is a wonderful weekend wine.

Happy Sunday, all! :clinking_glasses: :grinning:

This (just) of dry blend really hits the spot! Made from Siegerrebe, Solaris, Phoenix and Muller-Thurgau, this has similar pink grapefruit and lychee fruit to Scheurebe, with typical English featherlight delicacy. I quite like some English whites, but understandably the wines are often quite expensive for relatively simple styles.

This though, is a great white wine for £8.50, regardless of origin.

Two wines tonight. A lovely junior white burgundy and a slightly disappointing Exhibition wine.

Leflaive’s Auxey-Duresses was a great alternative to grander names and was bought from a Society EP offer when burgundy was more affordable. The Society’s Exhibition Chianti, oF which I have a few bottle left appeared past it’s best. A bit disappointing for a wine only 4 years old.
My notes were as follows:
Leflaive: Clean and bright. Clear rim, yellow with hint of gold in centre.clean nose. Medium intensity. Rich fruit and vanilla. Hint of lemon. Clean palate. Rich. Mouth filling - viscous. Medium acidity. Buttery. Vanilla. Hint of toffee. Medium, long finish. Lovely burgundy. Great with rich fish and chicken.

Chianti: Clean and bright. Light red rim with hints of age. Medium red centre. Clean nose. Medium intensity. Red fruit. Cherries. Hint of vanilla and spice. Clean palate. Dry. Medium, high acidity. Smokey red fruits. Slightly one dimensional and finishes quickly. Slightly astringent finish - past it’s best?

Still on the 2010 Baudana, Barolo Baudana… If it came in a six pack I would send some to reserves… so good… Do not really understand how it can be still available… great producer, great vintage, great wine, more than okay price… It is candied raspberries today :slight_smile:

So this os £49 on the table… the 2015 is £43 IB, which duty paid is roughly £55 with 5 year less bottle age. As I said it is great now, but totally buying it that it will go on strongly well beyond another decade.

I am doing a decent job trying to convince myself to buy a case for reserves… :angel: it is also my birthday next week…

I also took a Zalto Burgundy glass out of its box for this wine and it proved the perfect vessel, almost sad the wine is gone, while the glass is out quickly made a mental inventory of Burgundy to open… 2014 Pataille Marsannay most probably or Rousseau Clos de La Roche if I can find it (probably hid it so I don’t open it before 2025 tbh).

Sorry for the rambling post.

Well you just sold me on a bottle of the baudana, had been avoiding as no ideal way for me to put in reserves, and figured would be a bit early to drink. But excited to give it a try now! Made up a 6 bottle order of odds and ends.

Finished off the last glass of Wakefield Pinot Noir 2016, from Majestic

And moved on to a Pedroncelli Pinot Noir 2016 fromTWS but no longer availble

https://www.wine.com/product/pedroncelli-russian-river-pinot-noir-2016/338812

The Wakefield reminded me of Lola - just like cherry cola - but to be fair there were a lot of cherry flavours and it was well balanced, not too sweet at all.
The Pedroncelli; initial reaction, not much difference. It is a little dryer, with less cherry and maybe a bit more earthy.
Both easy and pleasant drinking. The Pedroncelli is going comfortably with mushroom and grana padano egg-fried rice.

Finishing off the weekend, and this, with a ham and cheese tiger baguette:

Lovely crisp finish, with lime, apple and floral scents and flavours. Deceptively heady…

That’s interesting - I had a bottle back in April and also found it a little disappointing:

I’d bought two, so decided to forget about the other for a few years to see if it comes round.

Time will tell!

Hi. I bought a case and have been working through it. Initially a pleasant Chianti but the last couple have shown signs of ‘drying out’. As you say, it will be interesting to see if it is just going through a dull stage although the lack of substance is worrying. As you say, time will tell although I profess that I will not be buying the Exhibition wine again until it has proven itself.

Better quality Chiantis can do that. I experienced something similar with the 2013 of this wine. Although I’ve never tried cellaring it beyond the short term, I would guess it should keep, though when it might come round is anybody’s guess. 10-15 years?

I’ve read that 15 years is the sweet spot for good-quality Sangiovese

My main report this week is that, as I was attending a double-40th on Saturday evening, I brought the magnum of TWS Champagne that I won as a prize for triumphing in the Fantasy Premier league Competition for 2018-19.

Actually my first experience of TWS house Champagne, and a positive one. It’s at the refreshing, appley end of the spectrum, and was enjoyed by all.

Enjoyed some pleasant al fresco dining over the weekend accompanied by these two.

Both very enjoyable in their own distinctive ways.

The bobal needs little introduction for visitors to this site and comes across as a pretty serious wine for the price. The 4 months in new American oak gives the wine real structure and ageing potential although not sure the fruit is sufficient for too many years. Will keep my other 2 bottles for a couple of years at least.

The Donnhoff was simply wonderful and drinking beautifully now. Excellent counterpoint to the Bobal.

Sunday’s wine choice was slightly forced on us due to the decanter developing a terminal leak. It gave us an opportunity to try a wine I’ve been after for a while, Lambrusco! So with tonight’s barbecue of leg of lamb we had a La Favorita Reggiano Lambrusco by Medici Ermete bought from Loki Wine in Birmingham.

In the glass this has a dark ruby red colour with good slow legs.

On the nose are primary flavours of blackcurrent, raspberry, gooseberry, ginger, potato, tuna, and the iron flavour of black pudding. Secondary are present in a creamy note whilst the scent of new sneakers hint at a tertiary flavour.

On tasting there is an immediate strong initial astringency giving way to sweet flavours of kiwi, gooseberry and lime. There is a good mouth feel with a pleasant light body. There is no alcohol burn, but leaves a lasting geranium ending with hints of green apple.

Well I’m surprised! I never thought Lambrusco would be worth a punt but it is. It’s perfect with savoury meats especially slow barbecue with that nitrate rich smoke ring. The dark fruit notes with acidity played off perfectly with the beetroot accompaniment to tonight’s meal. So embrace the kitsch and bring that Lambrusco in from the cold!