01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [6th July 2018]

No! It’s all a matter of personal taste. I think there are a lot of folks who genuinely do not like the taste of SB period. I know some of those people! There are some who like old world SB but not new world and vice versa. And I reckon there is also a fashion backlash against NZ SB. Some of it is deserved because after the initial wow factor from small producers making well made wine, the big industrial makers got in on the act and sullied a good name. But some of it is just a fad in the face of well made wines because it is cool to say you don’t like NZ SB!

I like Craggy Range Te Muna Road, Dog Point Section 94 and very happy when my brother gives me the occasional Cloudy Bay. I also love Pouilly Fume and Sancerre. So I am now well and truly out as a SB lover!

Ha ha! No, definitely not a ban. All opinions are permitted here.

Many of us will completely ignore you from now on though.

:wink:

Hi, my name’s Tom and I enjoy NZ SB. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Particularly the Greywacke that TWS stock :slight_smile:

I picked it up in a hurry and thought it was the Bernard Series at the time, but looks like it was the Estate. This wasn’t an elegant wine but is one I enjoyed. Certainly enjoyed it enough to be keen to try the Bernard

Also 2016 rather than the 2017 the I had first thought

Looks like I’ll be hosting the first meeting of ‘NZSB Anonymous’ in the near future then!

More like NZSB Spartacus, you mean. I’m Spartacus too; the more Gooseberry, the better.

No, I’m Spartacus…

Well made NZ SB is lovely… as is some Sancerre and the Society’s Exhibition Pouilly Fume. There, I’ve said it. What a relief!

Love Greywacke, standard and wild. Quite keen to try their Riesling

NZ SB is successful because it is a safe bet in a pub or supermarket for the many people out there who like bone dry white but don’t take a huge interest in wine - you may like one more than another but stylistically they are reliably similar. I am married to one of those people and whilst I now buy the SB and make occasional forays into other wines - Picpoul, or 1er cru Chablis last night with sushi for our anniversary - I also accept that we are probably not going to start drinking white Vacqueyras in large quantities any time soon.

I too am fond of much NZ SB; interesting experience last night though. I went to a TWS fine wine tasting and after a few sparklers the whites went albariño, pinot grigio, grüner Veltliner, then Cloudy Bay SB.
Drinking the CB after the others was like getting a powerful electric shock - it was just so intense in comparison. I still like it but realise it’s not an easy wine to mix with others.