01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread (7th-9th February 2020)

Friday
Villa Maria ‘Private Bin’ Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (Marlborough, NZ)
with grilled plaice, boiled baby pots, steamed runner beans/peas
Saturday
Bellingham ‘Homestead Series’ Pinotage 2017 (Stellenbosch, RSA)
with grilled chicken breasts, baby pots and homemade Lebanese style baked beans
Sunday - with friends over for dinner
Steenberg traditional method Brut sparkling Sauvignon Blanc NV (Western Cape, RSA)
Aperitif
Morwald ‘Malachit MIII’ 2015 (Wagram, Austria)
with roast beef, Yorkshires, roast pots and parsnip, steamed carrots, brussels sprouts and cauliflower
Les Jardiniers Muscat de St. Jean de Minervois NV (AoP, France)
with Bramley apple crumble and custard

The fizz shows that the world’s wine desire to emulate Champagne by using their three varieties is mistaken, excellent sparkling wine can be made from others, as this sauvignon Blanc demonstrates. However, the buying public didn’t agree, which is why M&S discounted this wine from £15 to £10 and I was charged just £5 at the till.

The Morwald Austrian wine is a blend of 60% Zweigelt and 20% each of Cab S and Merlot, bought at the winery from the irrepressible Erhard Morwald, owner and winemaker when we visited with Viking River Cruises. Morwald supplys Viking with its house red (Zweigelt) and white (Gruner Veltliner) wines.

(Later edit)

This is Erhard Morwald with his ideal wine glass at his winery tasting:_

Really enjoyed this at the weekend.

As per the notes it is fresh with lemony acidity but with a nice lick of oak to round things out. Went down very well with Roast Chicken, but that is no shock

Enjoyed these (and a few other non-TWS wines) this weekend:

Does exactly what it says on the tin - sweet and sour, lovely bubbly fruit and flowers, a pleasure to drink and the fact it’s only 5% means you can do so guilt-free.

For whatever reason (poor glassware?) this didn’t shine like the 2007 and 2009 vintages, lacking the intensity of flavour and any complexity. Instead it just came across as a well-made, refreshing Albarino of the type you’d be reasonably happy to have ordered in a gastropub.

Wine of the weekend was a delicious 1996 Domaine de Chevalier that was the perfect accompaniment to a fillet of beef :yum:

@NickFoster - sounds interesting. Please share your recipe - and a photo if you can.

It was an adaption of a recipe from this book, by Kwoklyn Wan (Gok Wan’s brother)

The non veggie book is good too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veggie-Chinese-Takeaway-Cookbook-vegetarian/dp/1787135098

I just opened another bottle of the 874 Rioja tonight and have to say that I think it’s a fantastic wine for the money, but then I do like Rioja!

It’s a lot of bang for your buck.

9 more bottles to go!