01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread [8-10 Feb 19]

I also felt I needed to stay dry after Monday, until today - was a strong effort, wasn’t it :sunglasses:

I’ve also been on a Rhone tip for that reason - over the past three weeks I’ve had red and white CNDP, plus red Hermitage, St Joseph, Crozes and Cornas. Tonight (with scallops/pea puree/crispy bacon) a white Hermitage, which was on special offer from TWS a month or two ago:

I thought it was excellent, and am sad that the bottle has just run dry, but I don’t think it was worth even the reduced price (think I paid about £60), as I’ve had some excellent Roussanne from California and CNDP recently for half the price. Still tempted to buy some white from both N and S Rhone in the en primeur, but reckon it’s worth investing in the reds (the Hermitage I had was also from Sorrel, and it was a knock-out) and looking down the spectrum in the whites.

Any California Roussanne recs? I love Qupe (I think their Marsanne might be the best I have ever tasted) but rarely see the wines here.

Stolpman got someone’s vote recently. Might even be @Bluebeard. I agree Qupe are great! They do some great GSM blends too, and I recently really enjoyed their 2014 Central Coast Syrah (delicious!).
I think Bob Lindquist recently sold the winery, but looks like he’ll remain as a consultant.

Yes, it was the Stolpman. Not as much power as the Sorrel, but just as complex, and more delicious.

Will look out for Qupe!

In addition to my eto wine, I also opened this for the weekend.

Have to say, I am very happy with this mixed EP case. Still to make up my mind which I liked best, but at least a bottle of each to enjoy still.

Rhône reds with our wine tasting group last night, all tasted blind. Blind tasting not really for the purposes of trying to work out what the wine was (we tried, but we’re far from being very good at it), but so that we actually tasted the wine, without preconception.
Universally voted best value for money:

In fact, six bottles have just mysteriously found their way into my basket (and I suspect several other people’s too). Dark, herbal, smooth, well integrated, and a very nice drink indeed.

One of the other wines we tasted was the Clos du Calvaire CnDP:

Quite lightweight for a CnDP. Most noticeably, too, it had a definite prickle on the tongue - what the French call vif. Not sure if it was the start of a secondary fermentation; it definitely wasn’t petillant, but it did taste lightly carbonated. There are some wines where this is aimed for, but I’ve never come across it here. So, intentional, or faulty?

On the slight prickle on the palate it may just be that it’s has been bottled with residual CO2. It’s quite common these days and is thought to give some oxidation protection and some winemakers bottle without sparging to remove the CO2 and the use slightly less SO2. If you look up ‘Fourrier Shake’ or ‘Mollydooker Shake’ you will see one strategy for dealing with it.

We’re starting the evening with the husband’s favourite grape - Cab Franc. In sparkling form.

He found out on Tuesday that he passed his ridiculously long grammar exam with a merit - a proof that there are active brain cells in the midst of life - so we’re celebrating with this offering from Aldi:

And then some scrabble, and then we’ll see. :clinking_glasses: :smile:

ROCK AND ROLL :metal:

To clarify, my wife and I have recently been playing Yahtzy as a pre dinner activity so we may have to try Scrabble

Steak tonight with this delightful syrah:

After this I only have two more bottles of Mitiffiot, it will be sad to say goodbye but the Domaine is no more (unless the new owners changed the name, I can’t find any info) after generations in the same family. Had the pleasure of visiting and meeting Louis de Belair and tasting his wonderful wines. My favourite quote after asking about his range: “Rosé? pffffft, c’est pas le vin!”

That’s interesting - thanks @Oldandintheway. I’ve seen references to it in passing before. I have a bottle of the Clos du Calvaire stashed away, so it will be interesting to see whether or not it’s the same as the one we drank last night, and whether shaking it helps - a bit of before and after tasting will be necessary, I think.

I’m with you on Crozes, it is an appellation that just doesn’t do it for me either. I first drank Thalabert in the 80’s and have kept coming back hoping that one day a Crozes would make think “wow”.

I bought the ‘13 Perrin EP and find it ok - just not very exciting. I also bought the ‘15 which is definitely a step up but still can’t convert me. I love Syrah/Shiraz generally but just not Crozes.

Other northern Rhône’s are a different story. I love Hermitage and Côte Rotie. I just can’t afford to drink them very often!

My first ‘what are you drinking’ thread post

This is a beauty, so smooth. Ordered after a recommendation from this forum so thanks a bunch!

We had it very recently and were wowed by it. My husband was especially taken by its balance of acidity and tannin, and the lively fruit. Glad you enjoyed too! :smiley:

My daughter is 18 today - and we are off to a local pub for dinner. Great food but sadly a very tame wine selection. I’ll probably stick to beer.

As compensation I’m off to decant this. Will hopefully be the perfect way to end the evening.

This tonight and not impressed, getting past its sell by date I think.

So, I lost at scrabble. Ah well! Tomorrow is another day.

On a happier note - this 2013 Barolo has been a definite ‘win’:

It’s another one Waitrose tends to discount from time to time (a bit like the Terra da Vino, which is still snoozing in our wine fridge) - we got it for £13.99 instead of the usual £19.99

Had fairly low expectations, but were (very) pleasantly surprised! The husband is totally enamoured with it. Or perhaps the Scrabble win is going to his head.

But seriously - the nose is all forest floor after the rain, mushrooms, rosehip jelly, tobacco and some cherry (somewhere very much in the background). My kind of nose! The palate doesn’t disappoint either; there is something so earthy and autumnal about it! there’s ash, and sour cherry, freshly turned soil, tart red berries… on and on it goes. The tannins are there, for sure, but they are very smooth and integrated with a touch of woodiness that complements the general earthy notes. The acidity is high, but not out of balance - it invites you in and then leaves a moreish taste. The husband said it reminded him of all the things he loves about Cab Franc. I sort of get what he’s saying, even though this is a different beast.

Just making some venison liver and bacon, and I suspect this will work really nicely with it. A steal at £13.99!

Continuing my Savoie exploration with my first glass of the rare Persan grape:

It is surprisingly light as, it seems, are most of the Savoie wines (hard to get to full ripeness in the high mountains maybe) they seem to be mostly between 11.5% and 12.5% which is where this one falls. On the nose brambles and plum, a hint, but quite a distinctive hint, of coffee, touch of spice, light and fresh in the mouth, a little fine tannin. A lovely moderately long finish with something delicately ‘green’ to it. I have seen it said Persan has aging potential of 10+ years but the lady in the wine shop in Chamonix reckoned it drinks best young. I’m unsure, those tannins are definitely there and, although quite light and fresh, it does have structure. Hmm

Still my kind of wine and I’m definitely going to be trying more Persan.