01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread [8-10 March]

weekend

I tried this for the first time, as I have a couple of bottles. It was lovely. Just what I want a claret to be, fruity and up front, but also enough there to know I can leave it a while to develop - not that I’m likely to.

We tasted a 2005 of this wine a couple of months ago and after several hours decant it was still quite tannic though good flavours as you describe. Still plenty of years left in it.

With tuna and noodles on Saturday…

Light body belies the depth of flavour. Cherry, plums, cola, mossy forest floor. incense and an astonishing blood and iron note all encountered, either on the nose and palate, through drinking. Complex and nuanced with real individuality. And only 12.5% ABV. I preferred this to the richer more alcoholic 2013.

With beef on Sunday…

Inky colour. Only just showing secondary development, Medium to full body but no heaviness just great drinkability. All the better for not being a blockbuster. TWS drinking window is conservative IMO. With proper cellaring, this has at least ten years in it.

Haggis with tattoes sounds like the aftermath of a (too!) good night out…maybe a Welshman in Edinburgh on Saturday.

Anyway, we had a bottle of this with roast beef yesterday.

Decanted 2 hours before serving. Deep colour with no browning at the rim. Some fruit, blackcurrants, on the nose with some more earthy notes too.

Tannins much more noticeable than previous bottles, very drying tannins too. Fruit still evident, along with some acidity. Alcohol not too evident despite a high content for claret.

Decent match with roast beef, but too tannic for the cheese. Interesting to note the different comments on Cellartracker on this one - I’ve had two quite different experiences of it too. Not as good as last two bottles, but difficult to tell if this is bottle variation or it’s going downhill. The colour and tannins tells me not, but I wonder if the tannins will now submerge the fruit.

The alcohol level is 13.5% so not high as such, I do think this wine will be better maybe in another year or so when it has the chance to integrate a bit better.

Good luck, Alex!! :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Good luck @winechief

There’s a number of TWS staff sitting the fortified exam with you. Hope they chuck in a Rutherglen fortified for you

I drank a 2010 of that last year and one of my comments was rather heavy tannins.

good luck !

Now…what is the system of ageing Madeira called and what does it replicate ?

I just wouldn’t have got a Scottish Tattoo artist to have done the deed…

It definitely did need some time to open out, but I thought the tannins weren’t too overpowering. I don’t drink a huge amount of claret, so maybe I was just expecting a tannic wine! Definitely lots of years left in this one. It was in a good place now, but would still be in a good (if different) place in ten years’ time.

Cheers for all the well wishes!

Good question @JamesF - keep em coming.

Grapes are crushed, fermented and fortified. Timing of fortification is dependant on final sweetness level desired.

Madeira can be aged 2 different ways.
Firstly in the Estufagem method - wine is heated to 45-50c for 3 months in tank then cooled and aged for minimum 2 years. This is typicaly done for the cheaper tinta negra variety.

The more premium way is the Canteiro system. More often done for the white varietals. The wine is to placed in oak which is located at the top of the loft houses on canteiro wooden beam racks (hence the name). This allows the warm sun to ‘maderize’ the wine. Casks are never 100% full so they undergo oxiditive aging also. Wines gradually make their way down the lofts until at the lowest level where they can continue to age for 20+ years.

These systems are to replace the long sea voyages. The shippers used to send the wines to places like India and back where the wine would naturally maderize from crossing the equator 4 times. This makes them virtually indestructable.

Pass with distinction! :man_student: :+1:

:clap::clap::clap:

{quickly looks back through old level 4 course materials}

whats the boiling point of ethanol ?

what is the most commonly used material for pot stills ?

when does reflux occur ?

Answer: Following a hot curry and too much Gewürztraminer??

Oops, sorry — working distracted from a reply — I thought it was a lovely wine! Intense, quite complex — herbal, deep fruit, a bit savoury. Full bodied with good tannin & acid structure, long. Would definitely buy again! Hope you enjoy yours.

closed #97