01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is in your basket [Sept-Oct 2019]

basket

A mixed bag for me this month. I needed some whites to rebalance the rack, some sherry now the fire’s lit but the Islay whisky called to me. The only wine new to me is the Bin #003 but sometimes you just want the comfort of old friends…

No, definitely not as ambitious, crazy (or rich!) as some people think. If you add a large amount of bottles or cases to your basket, as other members buy that wine, the total left in your basket decreases; it’s a sort of manual stock check method and works very well, except you have to empty your basket whenever you actually want to buy something.

If I did accidentally order the lot, I hope my Bank would spot the error and refuse it…

Ah, very interesting tactics. I shall have to try it. However, items going out of stock is normally the only way I get to reduce the value of my orders, so maybe only for items considered essential.

So am I right to assume that nothing in your basket is ‘locked in’ until you actually pay for it then?

Well @winechief, as it happens there were a few… :wink: It was, as always, an excellent event in a great and atmospheric location. I think the first 6 white wines were happily drunk without even the thought of spitting. In fact, I think most people were enjoying the wines so much that the spitoons saw little use; either that or the members of York are a pretty tough bunch!

So, without further ado, I will list my favourites…

Out of three Albariono’s, which were all very good, the best for me was Pazo de Villarei 2018 and at £10.95 it was also the cheapest. Excellent balance between the expected acidity and an enjoyable fullness. Very long.

The White Rioja’s were all delicious and represented the whole range from clean and fresh to having some oxidative notes, but without horrible excess as in times past. Really enjoyed Tobelos Blanco 2018 - fresh, good acidity, smooth and quite full. The Contino Blanco 2017 had a much more complex nose and was richer, but was also £20.

From Southern Spain in Valencia we loved Celler del Roure Cullerit Blanco 2018 £9.95, which was a blend made from Pedro Ximinez and Macabeo plus 2 grapes I’d never heard of - Verdil and merseguera. Some smoky notes, nuttiness and quite long. The nose was restrained, but the wine was a touch cold initially.

The other standout White wine was also the same price, but this time from north-East Spain near Barcelona - Jaspi Blanc, Terra Alta 2018. This got a good 4 ticks from me and was deliciously full and smooth, but with some surprise acidity around the back and edges of the tongue after it was swallowed. As the producer said, it’s a “Dangerous wine!”.

Will detail the reds tomorrow…

Absolutely! I have experienced wines becoming out-of-stock from my basket, even as I start to proceed with my order.

I couldn’t pass up on the Clos windsbuhl at about half the price of the rest of the market so decided to do Christmas sherry and a bit of fizz at the same time.

|
Half bottle of Champagne Boizel Brut Réserve NV
|Code: CH462In Stock|
|2 x Half Bottle(s) at £16.00|£32.00|
|Etna Bianco, Cottanera 2018|Code: IT28321In Stock|
|1 x Bottle(s) at £17.50|£17.50|
|Riesling Grand Cru Schoenenbourg, Julien Schaal 2017|Code: AL15291In Stock|
|1 x Bottle(s) at £14.95|£14.95|
|Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl, Domaine Zind-Humbrecht 2017|Code: AL15231In Stock|
|2 x Bottle(s) at £25.00|£50.00|
|Hidalgo Pastrana Manzanilla Pasada|Code: SH341In Stock|
|1 x Bottle(s) at £11.95|£11.95|
|SUBT|

1 last order before Christmas.

Trying to keep the bottle price down meant I skipped quite a few items on my wish list (but hey, that’s why it’s called a wish list right?). Even avoided all of the 2013 Rhone, which I hope still might have a few bottles left for the final order of the year.

Everything new to me, looking forward to the delivery :yum:

If I bought everything on my wish list I’d be bankrupt very quickly!

I would happily give that lot a home if it was misdelivered to mine !

I’ll put that on the driver’s instructions if I’m not in. I’m sure you’ll keep it safe :innocent:

It also has a very long drinking window and is actually dry. Very attractive indeed… 73 bottles left.

I am guessing the drinking window is a mistake and it would be more accurate be for the grains nobles version…

I think it’s correct. The drinking window for it on Z-H’s website is 2022-2042+

Sorry once again, please see the reply above.

We are all brothers and sisters and I would never filch from another members case !

Interesting, thanks… I like their website.

Something to keep us going during a wet and windy week in Wales…

These two bottles won’t make it to 2022. This may be the first white I decant…

Super excited today. I’ve just ordered (delivery tomorrow) six wonderful Italian wines for our local wine tasting group.
Three Vigna Sorbo Chianti Classico Gran Selezione, Fontodi from the 2013, 2014, 2015 vintages, and
Three Flaccianello Colli Toscana Centrale, Fontodi from the same 2013, 2014, 2015 vintages.

These will make a stunning session in the new year!

Yum yum

A week though. Really :thinking: ?

Difficult decision, but have ordered these with a view to buying more if really delicious and the next TWS taste evening…

Domaine Wachau Ried Achleiten Smaragd Riesling 2017 Code: AA2701In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £25.00 £25.00
Chardonnay Vin de France, Dopff au Moulin 2017 Code: AL15251In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £18.50 £18.50
Wineglass Bay Tasmanian Chardonnay 2017 Code: AU21441In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £20.00 £20.00
Domaine Coche-Bizouard, Bourgogne Chardonnay 2015 Code: BU63791AIn Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £17.50 £17.50
Rosso di Toscana Vecchia Annata, Villa di Vetrice 1999 Code: IT27591In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £23.00 £23.00
Pinot Noir, Domaine Paul Ginglinger 2017 Code: AL15241In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £12.95 £12.95

Also tempted by a case of Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl, Domaine Zind-Humbrecht 2017](https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/shop.aspx?section=pd&pd=AL15231) for Reserves…