01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is in your basket [Sept-Oct 2019]

basket

that one seems to be vanishing pretty fast

yup, 42 bottles left now, suspect this community is doing a pretty good hoovering job!

Good point. Should get us through to Tuesday, at which point we can resupply… (we’re on the Gower, so a trip to nd john might be in order…).

24 now… a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy

Hope you and @VinoVeritas enjoy them :wink:

I did this too -TWS prices on the Flaccianello very competitive, which delighted me as I’ve had it on my mind since tasting the 2014 earlier this year. Given the 2014 is meant to be the weak vintage of the three, I dread to think how good the other two are!

I got six for reserves. Also recommended today on wine-pages forum!

It fits the bill for an age worthy, non-riesling, non-chardonnay, dry white to balance the long term cellar… also the price looks right as @jcbl noted.

I just threw 6 in reserves too… cant be many left now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just 6 left.

Who’s going to be the lucky one…….

we can schedule a tasting for 2030

Totally, lets do it :sweat_smile:

Not me - all gone

So, part 2 of the (red) wines in the Spain Growers walkaround in York on Tuesday…

The Ribera del Duero’s - A ‘nearly’ Ribero and a lovely, hearty red. Some tannins evident and perhaps a little too much, but with the potential for the next 5 years or so was this: Quinta Sardonia Sardón, Castilla-Leon 2017. All of these wines were delicious and for me, perhaps better quality than Rioja.

The Society’s Exhibition Ribera del Duero 2016 was excellent with rich, vibrant and delicious flavours, but I think the Bóhorquez, Ribera del Duero 2009 was the best - full, tasty, spicy and long.

My Rioja notes are almost unanimously ‘very good’ and three ticks for every wine. They seem to have a little more acid than the Ribera’s, but often with more of the leathery and tobacco flavours that are especially delicious about these wines. I enjoyed the two Urbina wines very much, with the cheaper (Crianza) of the two being very good value for money; Urbina Crianza, Rioja 2011 - only £10.95!

Classic Rioja nose, colour and taste was the best description of the Urbina Reserva Especial, Rioja 2006 - excellent wine!

Similarly, the Muga wines were also delicious, with the 2012 Muga Selección Especial Reserva a standout wine. Bags of fruit and still a surprisingly dark red-purple colour. Balanced tannin, fruit and acidity.

La Rioja Alta Viña Arana Reserva, Rioja 2011 and the CVNE Imperial Gran Reserva, Rioja 2009 were also delicious wines with plenty of life left in them, but the latter was £39.50.

Best of all , perhaps, but at £22, was the Tahon Tobelos Reserva, Rioja 2012; a modern style, but still unmistakably a Rioja.

Outside of the typical ‘big’ wine areas was this - Pepe Mendoza El Veneno Monastrell, Alicante 2017 very lovely and very smooth with a vanilla nose, but at half its price was this blend from the same producer - Pepe Mendoza Monastrell Syrah Alicante Bouchet, 2017. Great nose, well worth trying.

Finally, for a really delicious, smooth and fruity wine, this one from north-East Spain near Priorat was especially drinkable and tasty: Blau, Montsant 2018.

A truly high class set of wines, all with something to say.

Ah, good to hear this has made a return to the list - I was dead impressed with the 2016 :+1:

I enjoyed that vintage too… and this is still under a tenner! Really great value wine.

I put a thread on the Alsace offer asking for advice and even put a post on about this wine. I am either naive or altruistic seeing I was sitting at home every night this week trying to justify placing an order. Needless to say I couldn’t find an excuse for buying it.

Missed out again- add that to Burlotto etc etc …

ooooh Good to see this back, I still have a couple of the 2017 which were not as good as the 2016’s so interested to try the 18’s :yum:

+1 on Blau

Has anyone tried the Capcanes Mas Collet Montsant? Sitting on my wish list but still to order one?