01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What's in your basket? [9 July]

weeklyshop

It’s my birthday tomorrow, and I’m still on paternity leave, so as a present to me I took 18 bottles out of my reserves:

Only problem is where to put them as the racks are full, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

What are you anticipating this week?

Funnily one of those St Julian’s is available now.

I assume it is more expensive now.

An “everyday mixed case” for me. Still up in the midands looking after parents, 150 miles from my cellar so good job Tesco have their 25% off 6 bottles offer running!

The missing 6th bottle is a mid range Wolf Blass Cab Shiraz that went back home with my wife :slight_smile:

Following last week’s Italian tasting in London, I bought a couple of bottles my nephew liked - the Society’s Prosecco, the Pecorino Abruzzo Contessa 2017 - a quite intense apricot and peach palate; the Pietralata Sannio Greco 2015 - a lime zesty sort of nose, with an almost creamy medium body and a peachy finish.
For hubby and I this evening, the Reto Blanco Albilla, Manchuela 2016, with a sea bream… Lovely!

There won’t be anything substantial in the basket for a while (famous last words…?), but I noticed that Waitrose is currently having a discount on all Fizz - ending today, so will be parting with some cash for the sake of these old favourites:
http://www.waitrosecellar.com/wine-type/juve-y-camps-seleccion-reserva-vint-747500
http://www.waitrosecellar.com/wine-type/les-dauphins-sparkling-blanc-de-bla-747476
http://www.waitrosecellar.com/wine-type/prince-alexandre-cremant-de-loire-817212
http://www.waitrosecellar.com/wwd-ridgeview-fitzrovia-rose
:heart_eyes:

Thanks to @Taffy-on-Tour I do have a basket (already checked out) this week, just 3 wines though…

I had a delivery yesterday and another due Thursday which is more beer heavy … some from yesterday’s…

I need some Frappato in my next order - thanks for the reminder @Leah !

Thanks @Inbar. I’ll pop into my local Waitrose this afternoon to see if I can find any of the Juve y Camps. Good value!

That Hasandede was really different! I liked it very much in the press tastings. Let us know how you get on with it. The Hans Igler Zweigelt is great too! Fab choices :wink:

My favourite Cava for sure! :ok_hand:

I’m looking forward to these!

Just tried Waitrose for J y C cava and they don’t have any there. However, just fyi, the in-store fizz promo ends today, but the Waitrose Cellar J y C offer runs till 7th August on the internet. Hadn’t realised until today that Waitrose Cellar runs more-or-less separately from the Waitrose shops.

Interesting, even if it does just provide an unhelpful nudge down the slippery slope!

Rats! was going to go after work today. I wonder if my local one will have it…?
Like you, I recently discovered that the Waitrose cellar is a different operation- whilst on the hunt for a reduced RABL Zweigelt, which I couldn’t find in any of the shops I usually sniff around. I asked - and they said I could order on line from the ‘cellar’ and collect from the shop for a fee. Which I did… as you say, slippery slope… :roll_eyes:

I typically save up my Waitrose orders for when they offer 25% off everything.
They usually have stuff that I find pretty interesting each time it comes around.
Last order was a bit of a beast…
1 x 2017 Thymiopoulos Assyrtiko Atma Macedonia
6 x 2012 Jim Barry Cabernet Sauvignon The Benbournie Clare Valley
6 x 2015 Rabl Riesling Alte Reben Schenkenbichl Kamptal
1 x 2015 Gabrielskloof Cabernet Franc Landscape Series Bot River
1 x 2015 Domaine du Grapillon d’Or Gigondas
2 x 2015 E. Guigal Condrieu
3 x 2011 Bodegas y Viñedos Montecastro Ribera del Duero Reserva
1 x 2015 Mt. Difficulty Pinot Noir Bannockburn
1 x 2015 Les Nobles Dentelles Gigondas
Wife wasn’t as impressed when it turned up…

Thanks for bringing along the next generation to one of our events. Hopefully he found it a good way to discover some new wines and you all enjoyed yourselves.

A bit eclectic. Hope the Nebbiolo is ok.

I like that Saumur producer. Really good value in the red, rose and white. Just pulled the CF out the fridge to,have with some charcuterie and a football match.

Good. Thanks. I have no experience of Loire reds, so filling a gap here…

You’re welcome Tim. I’ve managed to coax him from an uninterested 22 year old to an enthusiastic taster over the past 4 years, and he came on our trip to Barolo in April and loved it…