01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

⭐ Win a Community fine-wine favourite: 200-word writing competition

competition

I’m very excited to announce our first ever writing competition here on The Community!

:star: Share your wow-factor wine moment for a chance to win a Community fine-wine favourite! :star:

The concept is simple: we’ve all had at least one unforgettable wine moment. The kind of wine experience which becomes about more than what’s in your glass – the stars align and suddenly the deliciousness of the wine perfectly matches the company, the setting, the food, the atmosphere… and just like that, the wine earns a special place in your memories.

We want you to share your own wow-factor wine moment in 200 words or less - and the winner will win a bottle of the most-shared fine wine here on The Community:

Here’s all you need to know to enter:

• To enter, reply to this topic telling us about a wow-factor wine moment you’ve had in 200 words or less.
  • It doesn’t have to be your first one, it can be any amazing wine moment that stands out in your memories
  • Entries won’t be judged on literary prowess - they’ll be judged on storytelling and genuine passion/joy, so don’t worry if you don’t fancy yourself a writer!
  • CLOSING DATE: Friday 7th September at midnight
  • Prize: One bottle of Thymiopoulos Rapsani Terra Petra 2015, which can be sent to any UK address
  • Winner will be announced: the following week, by Community Direct Message.
  • Terms and conditions: here.

Can’t wait to read your entries! :eyes:

2002 my Hubby and I with our two young children and my (late) father enjoyed a great holiday at Abbaye des Monges (La Clape). A superb vineyard just outside Narbonne owned by Baron Paul and Maire-Claude Chefdebien.

The middle Sunday was Father’s Day and the Baron invited us to join his family to open the first 2001 bottle, such an honour, and what a great wine. We had watched the lorry team just the week before bottling this superb grenache/syrah wine. I remember it being dark and full of fruit.

We have visited twice since and enjoyed their more recent vintages, bringing a few home too of course.

We love that area and La Clape wines! Stayed for a week in Narbonne Plage last year so got used to driving over La Clape. Great tasting at Ch. Rouquette sur Mer :yum:

We fell on our feet when we found Chateau du Clos de la Ribaudiere, a lovely hotel near Futuroscope some years ago. Just one night en route home. Next stop would be the Loire. I cannot remember what we ate that night but we both remember the bottle of red wine we drank, a Domaine Filliatrou Veilles Vignes Saumur Champigny. It was the first Loire red we had ever tasted and we loved it! Smooth, berry delicious mouthful. If this wine was a song it would be Prince’s Raspberry Beret. We were so impressed that the next day we sought out the winery, enjoyed a very generous tasting and left with a case of mostly the wine we had drunk at the restaurant the previous evening. I say mostly because if we thought we had already tasted Filliatrou’s best wine we were mistaken when they poured us a sample of their L’Affutee. Gorgeous stuff, made from the best of the Veilles Vignes and oak aged. We had to have a couple of bottles and still remember the tasting and those superb wines with great affection.

You should visit Abbaye des Monges if you go again, Marie-Claude is renovating the abbey as well as tasting tbeir wines of course

Picture yourself at Piesport on the Mosel on a perfect summer evening in July, my wife’s birthday. Arriving at Weingut Lehnert-Veit by bicycle in the late afternoon to meet the wine maker Peter.
The wine Gunterslay 2015 is a relatively light fruity Pinot noir produced in 25 % new oak was selected after tasting 3 Pinot , 6 dry Reisling and 6 sweeter Reisling. Peter was multi-tasking but took time out to discuss each set of wines and provide details.
The beautiful garden setting on a dramatic curve of the river beneath the steep Goldtropfchen slopes in the lengthening evening light perhaps influencing our appreciation of the wines. Making it an easy decision to stay on and relish a full bottle of the Spatburgunder over a very casual dinner.
This was our last wine stop after a 7 week visit to Germany in our VW California Campervan. We had already celebrated Margot’s birthday formally with a detour to Ammerschwihr in the Alsace at the wonderful Restaurant aux Armes de France.
We had enjoyed wonderful first time visits to Kaiserstuhl and Pfalz on our trip and been genuinely amazed at the Pinot Noir we discovered along the way.

We had the very same wine on a recent trip and we too sought out the winery, albeit already a pencilled in stop based on community recommendation it was soon upgraded to a “must find”

We also came away with Vielles Vignes and L’Affute. I’m glad we’re in good company!!

I was asked to invent a sherry cocktail for a lunchtime wedding, so I made a mixture of spanish orange licqeur, marmalade pushed through a sieve and a bit of water; made ice cubes out of it, and served very chilled manzanilla with an ice cube and a slice of seville orange. It was THE highlight of the wedding! (Well, and the marriage ceremony of course)

It’s an inauspicious start, but I can’t remember much of the detail! Just the sheer sense of discovery. My sister, 6 years my elder, was dating a guy (we’ll call him Geoff) who was in to model railways. He invited me to an exhibition at the Westminster Central Hall. I’d been up to Town before, but this was something different.

After seeing some amazing model railway layouts, Geoff bought us lunch in a local restaurant. Pasta with Bolognese sauce, followed by some blue cheese. Simple enough…but the flavours exploded in to life because of a small glass of red wine. I’m guessing Italian!

Model railways…not my thing. Friends, food and red wine…one of life’s special combinations.

I’m a classical musician and once, whilst touring in France near Bourg-en-Bresse with my quintet, we were approached after the concert by a member of the audience. He told us “I have enjoyed your art. Now come and enjoy mine”! Not entirely sure to what he was referring, we followed him back to his home.

He and his wife rented a flat in an old junior school because that also gave him the sizeable school cellar which, it transpired, he had filled floor to ceiling with fine wine. He invited the five of us to sit at a table in the cellar and asked what wines we would like to try! Though somewhat chilly in the cellar, we quickly warmed to this invitation, enjoying some superb wines and, as he continued to press us for requests, we suggested Corton-Charlemagne, a little anxious he might think this rather cheeky given its expense. To our delight, he leapt into action, opened a bottle and poured – only to determine it wasn’t in good enough condition to drink. Our hearts sank. But he found another and the evening became enormously pleasant.

So Corton-Charlemagne remains a firm favourite with unusual, though slightly chilly memories!

My birthday, just a few weeks ago, I decided to have a wine and cheese party with my family and a few of my closest friends. We had several wines from the society, but the one that stands out is the Urbina Crianza Rioja 2009, probably the

best I’ve ever had. It was a lovely evening outside in the garden, and was especially poignant as it was the last time I was to see my cousin, who died suddenly a couple of weeks later. I have a couple more bottles of this so I will think of him when I drink them. The photo attached was taken by him. I’m the one standing.)

I retired a couple of years ago and was on one of my planned “big vacations”, this time to Vancouver in Canada.

We were staying with my partner’s sister and husband and took them
to Naramata in the Okanagan Valley for a wine tour tripette as a thank you.

During the visit we toured the Lake Breeze winery (on the Naramata “bench”) and had a wonderful treat. I adore trying a new grape varieties and was in for a surprise as they had one called Ehrenfelser which I’d never heard of.

It’s difficult to describe this as it had so many characteristics, we found citrus in there with apricot and honeysuckle, then came cantaloupe melon and gooseberries in another mouthful all rounded by a velvety texture.

The grape was on some of the oldest vines in the vineyard (60 years), I know it sounds so “new” but for a mouthful of fruit to burst from one sip was exceptional fun.

We attended the NEC Caravan and Motorhome show and for the first time in my life I bought a brand new vehicle on a whim. I was slightly dazed travelling home thinking about our new campervan. After gingerly driving out of the showroom a few weeks later we ventured into the unknown and used the van for the first time in a month not renowned for camping. November! We pitched up hoping we were doing everything correctly - of course we weren’t but on reflection nothing drastically wrong. We settled down and out popped a bottle of Exhibition Rioja from the virgin food cabinet into our wine glasses (none of the plastic ones for camping but proper wine glasses from the charity shop at 10p each) and suddenly life was perfect.

After spending summer holidays in Burgundy and Rhône - which I know about - I found myself in Bordeaux this summer, which I don’t know a lot about.
Driving around aimlessly in the wine district in 39 degrees, with two moody teenagers on the back seat and a wife that doesn’t always understand me - I was happy and surprised to suddenly pass Chateau Haut-Briton, which I have heard about.
It seemed small? Tasted okay - and the price was good! So I bought a case and started smiling - while the rest of the family were all the same.
Back in the holiday appartment I read more up about the wines - and found I was now the owner of a six wines of Chateau Haut Baron…?
Looking forward to trying them though:-)

It was a memorable encounter with the society lambrusco, the most versatile wine I ever drank
it goes practically with every food.!!!

Way back in May 2013 was my eldest daughter Victoia’s wedding. In the middle of all the hectic arrangements, it was suggested that “Father should arrange for the Wine at the wedding breakfast”. After a brief conversation it was agreed that the couple wanted a Pinot Noir and a Sauvignon. So accordingly, I studied the Wine Society’s lists of wines and identified a Zarcillo Pinot Noir 2012 and the Society.s Bordeaux Savignon 2012. I inItially purchased one bottle of each and duly sent them off to the couple fpr their opinions.Their tasting went well and I was instructed to proceed with the bulk puchase.On the memorable day, not only did some of the guests complement the newly wed couple on their wines but the waiters also remarked how excellent the wines tasted !! Hopefully the majority of the wine arrived in the Wedding Guests glasses! But thanks to the Wine Society a wonderful occassion was made even better- thats a WOW!!

I have long had a bit of a thing about Cabernet Sauvignon; the fact that it developed strongly when I discovered the Chilean variety is neither here nor there.
Two or three years ago, having become attached to the Society’s Cabernet, I decided to branch out and try the Corte Ignacio 2013 offering, and treated myself to a case. I am not particularly wealthy so it was a bit of a step for me.
Once it arrived, I dived straight in, first opportunity. To say that I was disappointed is an understatement. It was sharp, acidic, virtually undrinkable. What to do? I read several of the reviews and found one from someone who had found the same problem. Following his advice, I shoved it into the back of my pantry and forgot it.
A little over a year later, I opened a bottle. An absolute revelation! It was probably the most amazing bottle of wine I have ever tried. I hasten to add, I really am no kind of expert but, the memory of that bottle, has lived with me ever since, never to be forgotten. Sadly, it appears to be no longer available. Ho-Hum.

In 1980 I inherited two magnums of Chateau Latour 1954 from my Uncle, but never knew what would be the appropriate moment to drink them. When we came to move house in 2003 I was told by the Wine Society that they were uninsurable as they were irreplaceable and so decided to move my cellar in our car. The night before we moved we had some good friends staying for our last supper and decided to get an Indian take away to save washing up the following morning. As the evening approached the thought occurred to me that as an insurance against the possibility of losing both on the journey, we really ought to drink one before we left. So we did . . . . . . .with the Indian take away! The food was good and the wine was superb. I couldn’t believe it, this is not my normal tipple (Chateau Beaumont 2005ish). It stood up brilliantly to the Indian take away, I would actually quite recommend the combination! Quite the most memorable bottle I have ever tasted. Happily the move went fine and the second Magnum still awaits an equally memorable occasion!

How far can we go back? Would 1978 be too far? My wife and I, in her 7th month of pregnancy drove through the night from Hemel Hempstead to visit her cousins in Bergerac. We stayed in her uncle’s house - he being a vine doctor in the Bergerac region. But it is not about the Bergerac wines that I write. My wife’s uncle was also known to the chef des caves at Monbazillac.
As we arrived just before lunch on a Saturday we found a table exquisitely presented as the french are wont to do. It had two terrines of Pate de Foie Gras at each end. As we sat down to eat the master of the house descended into the cellar and brought back a bottle of 1911 Monbazillac (I don’t remember if it was an actual chateau Monbazillac or from the AOC!). I don’t think I need to tell you how well it complimented the pate! I don’t remember much more about the afternoon except that the master’s wife came out with our next course - two whole lobsters and said “what do I do with these?”