01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Wine gadgets

No idea but probably elegant but deadly…

Something I should have thought about before, but has been invaluable for the “wrong” reasons, is my steel port filter.

Bought this for removing the last drops of delicious port from sediment, but I have probably used it more (as I did last night) to filter out cork bits from a wine bottle where an old cork crumbled and couldn’t be pulled out, so the remnants had to be pushed into the bottle.

I have bid on eBay and purchased a number of brand new (cellophane wrapping intact) Le Creuset Screwpull models for myself and Christmas gifts for friends. Some retail for up to £100 but if you are lucky you can pick one up for £20, although £10 was my record. I do like decanters and a plain glass or even a modern Dartington crystal decanter can be picked up for a tenner. Not a fan of the old, heavy cut glass or crystal ones, they can be picked up on auction for virtually nothing. If you are interested, then now or in the New Year when unwanted, wine related Christmas presents abound is the time to buy! My logic is that all these things including glasses can cost quite a bit and can wear out or in the case of glass, chip or break. Are you bothered about 2nd hand glasses? Well they tend to be new off eBay, but we drink out of “not new” glasses in pubs and restaurants and all my purchased stuff goes through a dishwasher twice!! Then rinsed in Asda Spring Water to get rid of Surfactant residue. If not removed, can effect the surface tension in a liquid such as still wine or Champagne. No point in paying good money for a wine and a well designed glass to drink it out of, and then have dishwasher tablet or washing up liquid residue impinge on the taste and aroma.

I’m not much on gadgets apart from the usual collection of several styles of corkscrew - even though I use a couple of Waiter’s Friends almost exclusively.

I do want a Coravin someday, but at the moment not sure I’ve got the wines that justify it! I did sign up on Kickstarter for a new decanter/pourer/preserver device called ETO, hope to see that in use some time in the New Year.

The other thing I use a lot is a WineYoke (http://wineyoke.com/ bought through Amazon) for walk-about tastings, very useful for note-taking, even if a friend of mine claims it looks like a Gimp mask.

Weekday Drinking Thread [10 to 13 December 2018]

I’ve actually got several myself. Bought for when I was tasting and running events at the same time (paperwork!!!) but can’t say I loved using it

Sorry @Mitch

I think Vacuvin is worse than useless. It’s obvious that they do not and cannot create a vacuum, and thus spoiling oxygen remains in the bottle, but worse than that the pumping action ‘scalps’ the wine, removing bouquet, and the seal sometimes leave a rubbery tang to the wine.

I hate seeing them used in bars/restaurants/pubs when ordering just a glass of wine as the establishments seem to think the device will keep opened wine fresh indefinitely and should one have the temerity to suggest the wine is dead they will say it cannot be as they use Vacuvin.

I used to have (and probably one still at the back of a drawer) the pump device for removing corks. You insert the hollow neede through cork and pump vigorously forcing air into the bottle until the increased pressure forces the cork out.

Problem is that if there is a weak spot or fault in the glass of the bottle then it could shatter, at best spilling the wine, at worse cutting the hand holding the bottle.

And the air pressure must build up under the cork, so odd shaped bottles such as bocksbottles, Mateus Rose and the like should not be given the treatment. Such bottles are warned against in the instructions that come with the device but tend to get forgotten,.

The gadgets that have lasted the course with me are:

-A decent waiters friend corkscrew - with teflon coated screw, flanged lever and serrated knife blade.
-Butlers Friend cork remover (Ah So is a US brand of these devices, and I prefer the descriptive English name)
-Champagne stopper
-Rapid Ice Wine Cooler

Also at tastings are the very useful Drop Stops

Not sure if it counts as a gadget, but Cellartracker is essential in keeping track of what wines I have and where they are – www.cellartracker.com

I have a Coravin that gets occasional use - mostly if I am just catering for myself on a Friday or Saturday evening and fancy a glass or two, or for desert wines.

Last year I did visit a store where they were demonstrating an Isommelier and providing samples of wine to try both before and after being ‘decanted’ by the machine and the results certainly did seem positive, though at an eye watering £1000, however I believe they have now come out with a slightly less expensive version.

http://www.ifavine.com/

Having December birthdays isn’t all that bad after all !!
The postmans just been and I’m BEYOND excited :wink:…!

I am very excited about ETO coming out next year. I think it’ll be one of the most successful inventions for wine drinking.

For those who have not heard or seen:

I saw this a while back, looks great, I guess its kinda the same as decanting a partly drunk bottle into a small half bottle.

Just looked up what a Coravin is and stumbled on this amusing review on Amazon:

“As a seasoned alcoholic, I love this product! If you can happily enjoy 3 bottles of wine in a single sitting, this product is just for you! Buy a whole case and simply syphon off a glass from each, you won’t feel like such a glutton and the wife will never know! As an added bonus, order wine from Amazon and then complain that they were sent half full, I have earned back the £279 purchase price in only three weeks and have tripled my chance of liver cirrhosis at no extra cost! As a note, be aware that carrying this device connected to a rubber tube and a camelback through your local off-license or wine store does arouse some suspicion, but is easily explained away as a medical device. Does not work quite as well on bottles of cut-price vodka.”

Hahahaha this is brilliant!

I’ve been using this stuff…

… but I haven’t tested its effectiveness over more than a couple of days - and on that basis I wonder if it really makes any difference.

How long might the remaining wine be expected to last? I guess the wine left in the bottle was aerated with the first few glugs, and although it might taste better over the next few days, beyond that it would start to deteriorate.

The Coravin would cleverly avoid this by not allowing any air in at all (but sadly I can’t justify one of those).
I was very interested to hear about the ETO product (thanks for sharing that @Rich29 ). But surely this would suffer from the same theoretical weakness as the argon gas Wine Preserver - because it allows air contact when it is first decanted?

I should do a proper, more controlled test, but when it comes to wine drinking ‘control’ is pretty low on the agenda!!

What do the more experienced wine drinkers think?

That’s my understanding. As soon as wine is opened it starts bonding with oxygen. Pouring from one container to another thoroughly oxygenates the wine. Scientist Jamie Goode has written on this several times.

I think none of these devices are worth a penny. (and don’t get me started on Vacuvin!!)

The Coravin - which protects the wine from oxygen - has its afficiandos, but there are also some critical comments from users on the wine discussion boards. Seems to depend on how often one uses it on the same bottle, since the needle uses the same place on the cork to pierce.

And not only costly to buy, but also to run. Need very expensive rare wines to make it worthwhile - if it works for you.

Yes somebody bought me a case of their ‘powerful reds’. Alcoholic Ribena. The argentinian Shiraz Malbec blend was alright, the rest was poor. Felt a lot of effort had gone into the labels, possibly more than selecting the wine.

What is this thing you call “Left Over” Wine?

I’ve never heard of that particular bottle. Doesn’t sound very appealing.

I liked the look of the ETO as much as its potential use (plus the creators are based in Wales), hopefully it will live up to the hype!

Needless to say I’m pretty excited about owning this. Mainly because it will allow me to have a glass of nice wine, not just rare wine when I don’t want to consume the bottle. There isn’t always someone else available to help polish it off :smile:. Quite often, I think I fancy a glass of something to either go with what I’m eating or just on its own but knowing I have to open a 750ml bottle puts me off. (Not always though ) Also, I think it will come in useful for blind tasting for exams. So for me, I don’t see it just for the rare and fine wines but an added tool to benefit by wine drinking habit :wink:

Not to mention that it was a gift :slight_smile:And very useful for blind tasting for exams, WSET Diploma??

Sulphites in wine