01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Your heaviest bottle?

He didn’t tell us that it was actually a really tall, thin jereboam.

… I applied a little pressure on the bottle while measuring, is that okay? …

If anyone is in Wimbledon they are welcome to pop in to check the bottle and also to have a glass or two of wine (different wine).

This topic reminded me of a very ‘brand aware’ tour of Veuve Clicquot a few years back. They said La Grande Dame was so special it had to be kept in an extra thick bottle as breakage would be a catastrophe etc etc

Anyway, dug this out to find a full weight of 1940 g. Minus 750g of champagne the bottle must weigh around 1.2 kg. So not a winner but pretty hefty nonetheless

El Porvenir, Cafayate, Argentina, 1.21k.

Had this absolute whopper last night weighing in at 1.968kg!!
Edizione%20Cinque%20Autoctoni%20NV_(135x400)

The wine itself was everything turned up to 11… supposed to be a blend of 5 regional tuscan grapes. It was pleasant but alcoholic and very extracted. Desperately wanted more sangiovese-ness and felt the other 4 grapes just made it into a.n.other super tuscan-tasting wine. Elegant and finesse, it was not!

And it was about 30 quid a bottle. I’d have taken this any day over it, it’s an absolute beauty.

Wow… was that the weight of the empty bottle?

We had it round at a friend’s house so didn’t weigh it but taking 750ml = 750g then about 1.218kg

I’m not a weak man, but I wouldn’t envy the somellier who had to lift the case of that!